Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dru's First Day of Kindergarten

Dru started kindergarten last Monday. It surprised me not so much the emotions I would feel but of the significant changes in our whole family that comes with a child starting school. The kids are now separate during the day and that is a huge change for them. We also now are commuting separately in the mornings. I am still figuring out the best way to work my afternoons.
 
She has done better than I thought she would with her energy level. I expected her to be just plain worn out when I picked her up. She seems to be handling the stress fairly well. She makes friends easily so that part has been just fine. Her favorite part so far is recess, of course.
 
Almost each day we have had a report from her or her teacher that she had a time out. I'm not sure whether she is bored or loses focus. From somersaults in the classroom to being too much of a teacher's "helper" has gotten her in trouble. This Monday her teacher made sure to tell her to work on focusing on her own work. She surprised us by requesting lunch from home instead of taking school lunch. I thought it would be nice to not have to spend time making her lunch, but now I like seeing what and how much she is eating. Every child receives a free breakfast and when she eats school lunch it is $1.95.
 
I still find it strange that we have a kindergartner. Where did the last almost 6 years go!?
 
 
Our big girl

 
With her butterfly backpack
 
 
Her dress of choice, and sparkly shoes

 
Silly face

 
Best Buds

 
Running to school!

No comments: